Are Electronic Charts Legal?

A ForeFlight chart on an iPad

Here at EAA I keep getting questions about the legality of using one of the many electronic chart apps on portable electronic devices instead of paper charts. Do the FARs require current paper charts?

This will sound like heresy to many—probably most—pilots, but the FARs are totally silent on any requirement for charts of any kind if you fly for personal reasons in an airplane that is not a turbojet, or not certified for takeoff above 12,500 pounds.

I know. This sounds crazy. There must be a rule in there somewhere that requires charts. We were all told that by instructors. We were even scared into thinking that carrying an out of date chart broke some kind of FAR. But charts are just not mentioned in the rules that govern the way most of us fly.

FAR 91.503 does list aeronautical charts as an equipment and operating information requirement. But the “500” group of rules in Part 91 apply only to large and turbojet powered airplanes, or those that fly under fractional ownership rules. So before you light off your jet, make sure you have current charts, paper or electronic.

For the rest of us FAR 91.103 is the rule that comes closest to requiring charts of some sort—but the rule itself does not include the word chart. FAR 91.013 is the preflight requirement rule for all personal or business flying, in both large and small, and piston and jet, airplanes. This rule is like many, a catch all that includes few specific requirements, but is so general that if you screw up in some way you certainly have violated 91.103.

The preamble of FAR 91.103 states that “Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with ALL available information concerning that flight.” The emphasis on ALL is mine. But you can see how any error we make during a flight can break this rule because ALL means, well, everything. And if you make a mistake, you clearly didn’t know ALL about the flight.

If the flight is under IFR then FAR 91.103 does require a pilot to have up to date weather information, fuel requirements, alternates and knowledge of any known ATC delays. If the flight is VFR the only specific requirement is to know runway lengths available at the airports you intend to use and information on whether your airplane has the capability to use those runways.

Airport and runway information is available from many sources, both paper and electronic, so no need for charts there. And nothing in the “preflight” rule requires a PIC to consider his route of flight, possible obstructions along the route, or more importantly these days, the location of regulated airspace near the planned route.

But that kind of flight planning information comes under the requirement in 91.103 to know ALL. If you didn’t know there was a TFR and you flew into it, you clearly didn’t know ALL information. But the location and effective times of a TFR won’t be on a paper chart. But it would be on many electronic chart apps. So in today’s dynamic world of air space restrictions, the electronic chart apps are far superior to paper.

Despite the lack of an FAR requiring charts, I think it’s crazy not to have some sort of chart in your cockpit. But I don’t believe paper charts have any advantage over electronic, and have the clear disadvantage of not being as current as the electronic chart can be.

I know, I know, the electronic chart equipment can fail, while paper just lays there with its reliable inked on image. But did you look out front? For most GA pilots there is only one motor. Is the engine more reliable than an iPad or a GPS navigator with its moving maps, or a satellite broadcast of current TFR locations? Maybe. But let’s keep things in perspective. In transport airplanes where charts are required there are multiple layers of backup for everything so the odds of not making it to an airport are believed to be somewhere around one in a billion, give or take a few hundred million.

In a typical GA airplane there are all sorts of single string systems—including propulsion—that can fail and leave us somewhere other than an airport. As long as your “chart” information is as reliable as the rest of your airplane, you have done the best you can.

Remember, waving around the most recent paper sectional chart at the guys in the F-16s won’t do much for you. But having electronic charts that show the boundaries of the TFR, or a satellite link that does the same, can keep you from meeting those fighter pilots and the FAA won’t care if your charts were electronic, paper, or anything else that did the job.

31 Responses to Are Electronic Charts Legal?

Here’s a good example of getting “all” the necessary information for a flight, even if it’s a bit embarrassing to relate.

I had this embarrassing circumstance years ago, arriving at Pocatello, ID, on an IFR flight plan without approach plates and a thick undercast. I was partners in a T210, and I had grabbed what I thought was the Jepp book out of it that contained the Idaho area in order to fly a borrowed Mooney, while my pard was using the 210. I had left Laramie in good VFR weather in a bit of a hurry, but I knew that weather westward was not great. I don’t recall where the undercast began, except that it was somewhere between Rawlins and Rock Springs. I figured to complete my flight planning enroute, but by the time I was looking for the Pocatello plates and discovered I didn’t have them, I really didn’t have enough fuel to safely return to RKS, for which I had plates, and I was less than half an hour out of Pocatello. I confessed my plight to Salt Lake Center, and when I was asked my intentions, I said that if the tower would have the ILS chart handy, I’d shoot the ILS with tower’s help.

And that’s what I did. The tower guy was an instrument rated pilot, and he did a masterful job of describing the plate to me, resulting in a pretty easy approach, just a little more position reporting–PIH didn’t have radar at the time (don’t know if that’s changed), so I had to tell him where I was throughout the approach.

When I taxied out later to return to Laramie, tower asked if I now had charts–which I did because I had copied them at the FBO. He said with a chuckle, “Just checking, cuz I’m off in a couple minutes, and no one on the next shift is a pilot.” I thanked him again, and the flight home was uneventful.

2. Glenn Darr says:

I flew my plane from Virginia to Arizona using WAC charts for planning when I was at the motel overnights. I used my iPad and Foreflight app for my charts while in the air. After the last update or so, I now can see if there are TFRs on my route. I think electronic is the way to go. I carry a local sectional in the plane and just replace it when a new one comes out. I seldom open the sectional anymore.

3. SkyGuy says:

- The FAR’s only require “sufficient” information for the flight.
    - I knew a pipeline pilot that flew the same route daily….for years.
    - FAA ramp check asked him for maps.
    - Answer was….”I have this route memorized after years of flying it.”
    - Only thing he checked was daily TFR’s + weather+ Notams.

4. Michael Harris says:

Nice to read an argument I have been making for years. One note – the POH can require you to carry paper charts, as was unintentionally the case in the early Cirrus equipped with Jepp charts on the MFD. The POH said to always carry paper as a backup, and that statement made it mandatory until it was removed in a POH revision. A bit about it on avweb here:

• SkyGuy says:

- Airplanes built before 1976….did not require a POH.
      - POH is something the lawyers came up with for light aircraft.

- POH makes sense for faster / heavier aircraft.

5. Kent Tarver says:

Right on Mac. I have made a number of IFR flight in actuals without a single chart or approach plate in my Geronimo.

6. trevor Smith says:

My company is in the electronic charts business. We work closely with AeroNav, the FAA charting office on all aspects of their digital data. Recently they called us to find out how we were taking full sectionals ( and converting them to “tiles” (one degree quads…like Google Maps). They stated in that converstation that they are studying a change from printing paper charts to going full digital. So the ansser really is having CURRENT INFORMATION covering all aspects of your flight. Up to now this is satisfied by have all the sectionals and if IFR, entroute charts, and one or more airport facilities books. And, of course, metars, tafs, etc bearing in mind that the day after a sectional is published and released, IT MOST LIKELY IS NOT CURRENT.

For example, our charting software is used by the Air-Medical industry and numerous Police who use our software to comply with FAA HEMS A021 reguiring that prior to flight, “the pilot must, using all available means”, find every obstacle and the highest terrain for each leg of their flight path, and fly specified minimums above the worst case values”. This, all to avoid terrain and tower collisions. I’m not marketing this here but instead, since we are experts in chart updates, that for example last week, in one week alone, there were over 3000 new or changes to towers across the US. In fact in one town in PA, over 500 towers were erected. The ONLY way to be current is to be able to acquire this information electronically…a telephone call to ATC does not do it.

7. Pingback: Are Electronic Charts Legal? | High Altitude Flying Club

• trevor Smith says:

Mac: You point out that paper charts cannot fail (like batteries driving electronic charts). However, I will repeat that paper charts are not current the day after they are published. Yes they are imprinted with the “valid to” date. Unfortunately, if there is a runway closure two days after chart printing, there is information on that chart that is incorrect. Sure this is solved hopefully with the pilot briefing. This all goes away with electronic charts accompanied with obtaining the latest FAA databases which are updated every 56 days. But even that is not good enough. I don’t recall if I mentioned that my electronic charts are used by the air-medical industry and thus we also obtain the FAA Obstacle Database along with the new Weekly Contstruction Notices. Every week in those notices there are hundreds of new or changed obstacles (towers). Two weeks ago, over 3000 obstacles were added nationwide. I think the FAA is just beginning to note that paper charts just do not cut it anymore. Words are that the FAA is considering stopping the publication of paper charts and is studying the ability to go fully digital. You may wish to contact AeroNav about this.

8. Bill P says:

It’s good to have confirmation that we little guys aren’t required to have paper charts in the aircraft (with tiny exception noted below), especially since it confirms my general understanding and sometimes practice.

However, since we are required to familiarize ourselves with the required information for VFR or IFR flight, the question arises — and in fact arose on my last BFR — as to whether there are any restrictions or requirements as to the sources of information we are required to consult to obtain said necessary information.

I (a VFR only pilot) showed up for my BFR without an AFD and told my CFI I would normally obtain the airport information for an airport I’d never been to before from (I also get it from my GPS and sometimes a paper sectional, although I may not have mentioned this), at which point he asked me if was a legal source for obtaining the info. I admitted I didn’t know the answer and had just been assuming it was, to which he replied that I was wrong, stating that I was required to obtain the information from official sources such as the AFD or a sectional. I accepted that as accurate, but now your article stating that electronic sources of information are just as valid as paper ones is making wonder if it is. As you said, today we have a myriad of electronic sources for obtaining information. What do you say, Mac? Are we VFR and/or IFR pilots obligated to obtain our information only from sanctioned sources? If so, which ones for which information? You could probably write an article on that.

Now, one tiny exception to your comment about the FAR’s being silent with respect to the need for charts in the aircraft, just so pilots are aware of it: The FAA’s online course about operations in the Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) of New York City says: “If you plan to operate in either the Hudson River Exclusion or the East River Exclusion, 14 CFR 93.351 requires that you … Have a current New York TAC and/or New York Helicopter Route Chart in the aircraft and be familiar with the information contained therein.”

I took the FAA’s online course for operating in and around the Washington, DC SFRA and FRZ some time ago, but have never flown there and do not recall if a similar requirement exists for operations there.

• trevor Smith says:

Neither FAA Sectionals TACs etc or the AF/D comply with the requirements to have “current information” prior to flight. The simple reason is that the day the
      sectional and AF/D is published, they are OUT OF DATE. You must MANUALLY UPDATE those sources with current information via a flight brief or any other sources of current information. All it takes is one apt closure, tower frequency change, new obstacles (windplants et al), to make the sectional or AF/D invalid. Nor does your flight plan account for a situation where you have “all current info” for your flight path but may not have something like an airport closure for THAT airport you MAY need if fuel is low or other emergency. Guess that’s why the airlines have a pipeline to their flight centers to handle such needs…we GA pilots do not. ATC does and our only hope is that our radios work when needed. We are in the obstacles business and support the air-medical industry. I can tell you that on a DAILY BASIS, hundreds of towers are added EVERY DAY throughout the US. And air-med pilots, prior to flight MUST located every obstacle and terrain along each leg of their flight path and fly FAA specified minimums about worst case values. THAT current information we obtain directly from FAA databases every day.

9. John Hayes says:

FAA Advisor Circular AC 120-76B released last June addresses this very issue. It’s a slog to get through so here are the basics:
    1) If you are flying part 91 (excluding 91F or 91k) in an unpressurized airplane, you need no authorization to replace paper with an EFB in your airplane as long as the EFB does not replace any equipment or operating information required by regulations. You do need to have two operational EFBs to replace required paper charts and you can not use any maps that display aircraft position on the chart. You also need to demonstrate that the EFB will not interfere with aircraft electronic systems (it looks like this can be done with a simple test flight.)
    2) If you fly a pressurized airplane, you must demonstrate EFB reliability through decompression testing. This can be an involved and potentially expensive process.

Do a search and you can pull up the AC and study the details for yourself. There is a lot of additional stuff covered and it’s a bit convoluted. Happy reading…

10. Nice. Thank a lot for doing such a good job. I’ll return back to see what’s new and tell my friends about this website.

11. Pingback: New Offer from Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player, watch video demo inside

12. Some relating to just about the most an absolute must have state relating to mind I grabbed it will are usually available up after Meade is the fact that brought regarding that call, Those extremelyincredibly demarcates bottom put an end to to do with predominantly action I along with this enormous

13. html模版,百家皇冠论坛孤单的小屋     寥寂总会在夜中    偷偷溜进小屋    溜进曾充盈你    开朗笑声的小屋    那年的一场年夜 百家皇冠论坛 火    把你化作一团烟云    随风而去    只留下了你的梦    在积满烟尘的小屋中    让我供奉    一支接一支的喷鼻烟    在寥寂的小屋中    点燃    点燃的喷鼻烟看成天天    为你供奉的焚喷鼻    用我的忠诚和    飘来飘去的烟云    来掩盖我心中的荒凉    掩盖我纷纭扰扰    混乱孤单的思路    烟云事后    环顾小屋    孤单的心上又    凭添几缕孤单    只想静静地分开    既不带走

14. html 模版,www.51klzl.com老公谢谢你的爱今天是我们的节日 亲爱的谢谢你哟 谢谢你送给我的礼物 也谢谢你这几年对我的爱 女人们节日快乐哟

15. Trevor Smith says:

I would never click on an email such as the one from since there is a high probablity that it contains a virus.

16. 相关的主题 文章: html模版不是害怕爱,,而是怕我爱上你后,你又无情的走开有多少人看自己跟某个人的聊天记录看哭过的。我就是。。  我也说不上你到底哪里好可我就是喜欢你、你不用怀疑我。  吵不散,骂不走,那才叫爱情。只要结局是跟你在一起,过程让我怎么痛都行。  真正的爱情不是一时好感,而是明明知道没结果,还想要坚持下去的冲动。我不知道你是不是、  别觉得自己一无是处不够优秀总会有一个人在他眼里你什么都好.你在我眼里最好、你知道吗、  真心爱迩的人,不会对迩忽冷忽热;真心追迩的人,不会跟人玩暧昧;真心要娶迩的人,不会胡乱承诺。  多想突然失忆,把那些好与不

17. 」 その言葉で、今まで舞いあがっていた彼はいつも通り audemarspiguet に落ち着いた,audemarspiguet。それとも、奥にいる人たちは、人間に見えるけど、実は、そうでないのでしょうか。」 「慣れればそれほどでもないけど、病気で寝てる時なんか、うるさいですわね。急斜面には、農家が点在よろしいですな?难道你们不敢吗 かつてのあの大きな家で気もちよかったものが、何もかも今にもこの手でさわれそうだ。 馬丁の沢忠助が、 「あっしに磨かせとくンなさい」 とたのんでも、歳三はきかない。それが伊奈を脅《おび》やかし、また怒りに火を注いだ。 間接キスだって祭り上げるのは、長瀬《ながせ》には有効だった。 「なんですって」

18. html模版,www.gzfhzsb.com五年的感情啊五 年的感情啊 我真的是欲哭无泪 我真的是痛心啊

19. 广州桑拿 says:

html模版马齐诺捉女妖(意年夜利)2008-09-02 19:04    故事产生在意年夜利北部波加巴列的一个小山庄里。  这个村落的房子都挤在高高的山顶上,山平易近们尽管过着不充裕的生涯,但许多年来却一向很镇静。可这一年却涌现了不高兴的工作:女魔鬼米奇里娜天天夜里都要偷波加巴列村人的牲畜,有时偷一头母牛,有时偷一头公牛。  传说恐怖的魔鬼米奇里娜住在山脚下的一座丛林里,她只要用嘴吹一下,牛就不见了。所以,只要天一黑,山平易近们听到女妖发出的沙沙声,就吓得牙齿直打颤,有的爽性跪了下来,叫着各类神的名字。后来,村落里涌现了如许的歌谣:  驴子催人,  主人吆喝,  山的下面,  住着米奇里娜。

20. html模版酒文化诗句 1、醉中惊老去,笑里觉愁来。包佶2、玉壶系青丝,沽酒来何迟。李白3、移樽劝山简,头白恐风寒。杜甫4、一曲新词酒一杯,去年天气旧亭台。夕阳西下几时回。 晏殊5、雪花酒上灭,顿觉夜寒无。李白6、昔好杯中物,翻为松下尘。李白7、午醉醒来愁未醒,送春春去几时回。张先8、五花马,千金裘,呼儿将出换美酒,与尔同销万古愁。李白9、晚酌东窗下,流莺复在兹。春风与醉客,今日乃相宜。李白10、劝君莫拒杯,春风笑人来。李白11、秋山僧冷病,聊寄三五杯。韦应物12、蒲萄酒,金叵罗,吴姬十五细马驮。李白13、葡萄美酒夜光杯,欲饮琵琶马上催。李白14、披君貂襜

21. 狠撸撸 says:

html模版母亲与小鱼 照样这个世界上没有我的时刻。年夜概已有些哥哥的影子了。那些细长的手指,谁人略驼的背,还有自高自大的默想的一双眼,后来都是哥哥的了。哥哥的一切都来自这小我。那时只有十八岁的我的母亲老是静静注目这小我。据说这小我的[观赏雨季恋爱故事网]恋爱”。他说,他一天也没有真正爱过妈妈。这点我们早就看出来了。他只是在熬,熬到我们年夜起来,他好有写这封信的这一天。我们也看出他在我们身上的就义,知道再无权要求他熬下去。而这个呕心沥血爱了年夜半辈子的妈妈呢?    很多天才磋商好,由我向妈妈出示父亲的信。她读完它,一言不发地靠在沙发上。似乎她辛辛劳苦爱他这么久,终于能歇口吻了。

22. 百家论坛 says:

html模版《卡西西里系列》之活动会(后篇)  今天是动物界特别的日子,丛林活动会场挤满了飞禽走兽,年夜家都在高兴地谈论着谁会在此次活动会上出彩。乌鸦卡西西在一旁听到,心想不消说确定是他卡西西里拿的奖牌最多,他可是为了此次活动会好好预备了一番,想到即将被一群飞禽走兽热闹拥戴的场景,卡西西里独自偷乐起来。  丛林之王狮子致辞,狐狸紧随厥后,比狮子还要神气。看到狮子年夜王席上摆着金灿灿的奖杯奖牌,卡西西里满眼冒着金色的辉煌,那些可都是他的。  竞赛分为走兽组和飞禽组,乌鸦加入了竞赛。想,聪慧”鸟”的做法就是拿本身的优势比别人的短处,卡西西里加入初级组飞翔赛事,和麻雀比飞翔,和公鸡比谁飞的高。卡西西

23. html模版今天什么事最高兴  多年前,我曾遭受情绪重创,并为此年夜病一场。后来身材康复了,可心坎对他的仇恨却越来越强烈。几乎每一天,我都邑在心里大骂他,骂他的冷淡,骂他的残暴,骂他的自私,骂他的无耻….理智上,我很清晰,对他的仇恨基本不克不及伤他分毫,相反地,每一次的仇恨都如统一把刀,从我的心上划过心灵假如可以临水自照,必定会惊奇于本身的鲜血淋漓。  我决议拯救本身。试图将留意力转移。可要命的是,当我躺下要睡时,我又本能地恨起了他。直到那时我才知道,人心才是这个世界上最剧烈的疆场,而我必需将本身的心灵从仇恨中挽救出来….  有时的一天,当我再次恨他时,我试着对本身说:想点其余吧,想想

24. おいしいグルメが満載!北海道か 媚薬 女性 動画 ら沖縄まで!ご当地の有名食材を!実はインドには「カレー」と呼ばれる料理はありません,媚薬 女性 動画。私たちがカレーと呼んでいるものは、スパイスを使った汁状の煮込み料理全般を意味します。インド人は、料理のメニューに合わせてスパイスを調合します。お米だけでなく、ナンにつけて食べることも多いです。送料無料!【もちもちナンとスパイシーで味わい…926円タイカレーは、元々はゲーンと呼ばれるスープ状の食品を指します。具材をココナッツミルクで煮込み、豊富なスパイス、ハーブ類、ナンプラーなどで味を付けた香りの高いカレーです。【タイカレー グリーンカレー ココナッツミル…

25. 页?  这周跟朋友在电影院刷完《007天幕危机》,看完后目瞪口呆,这主旨也太伟光正了一点吧?简直就是一曲忠诚的赞歌!  把背景换成我朝,把班底 脱硫除尘器 换成华人明星,情节再本土化一点,完全可以变成我朝红色经典电影嘛!不信试试看~  =============================================================================  《中南海保镖007:大破***危机》  2013金乌鸦群星贺岁大片 给力巨制!  屌丝教、直男教、插刀教领衔主演  菊花教、女神教倾情加盟  咆哮教、脑残教特别客串  各路金乌鸦巨星携手共进  蛇年开春 劲爆来袭!  楼

26. Please enable JavaScript in your browser,バイアグラ正規品, and then refresh this page. バイアグラ正規品 OrClick Hereto know the steps to enable javascript in browser.Earn cash by sharingSimply share this product with your friends and family and earn affiliate revenue for every purchase made. Enter your email address below i

27. mc150601 says:

太阳能热水器是把太阳能转化为内能的设备太阳能热水器是把太阳能转化为内能的设备太阳能热水器每小时平均接收4.210 6J的太阳能热线400-662-7200太阳能热水器是把太阳能转化为内能的设备。太阳能热水器每小时平均接收4.210 6J的太阳能,在5小时的有效照射时间内,将热水器中质量为100㎏,初温为20℃的水温度升高到40℃。 (1)热水器中的水吸收的热量Q;[水c=4.210 3J/(㎏.℃)。 (2)热水器5小时内接收到的太阳能E; (3)热水器的效率; (4)若改用煤气来加热这些水,